The Histopathology & Telepathology Unit is a specialized lab service established in 1998 then completed through a cooperation with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs & The Italian Embassy in Cairo in 2003. Through this cooperation we established the first telepathology unit in Egypt which offers our patients a unique Tele-consultation of the cases with highly specialised histopathology units in different European countries & USA A further cooperation with The Association of Pathologists beyond Frontiers non-profit organization [began in 2005 and completed in 2010] allowed us to renew [and complete] all our devices.
Our Histopathology & Telepathology Unit is a specialized lab service provides a complete histopathological examination including gross dissection, microscopic examination, FNA, Cytological examination, core biopsy [performing & examination], Immuno-histochemichal studies and common molecular biological examinations. It is the first [and the only] unit in Egypt offering tele-consultation of the cases with highly specialised histopathology units in different European countries & USA
The Histopathology & Telepathology Unit is divided into four section:
- The dissecting room: for specimen’s dissection & gross examination .
- Processing Room: A fully equipped histopathology lab including all the basic devices needed for routine processing of the specimens [including most of the special stains commonly used]. The unit is capable to do all the immunohistochemical studies needed for any fluid or tissue specimens .
- Reception Room & Office: For FNA examination, core biopsy and microscopic examination till full reporting of the cases .
- Telepathology unit; including a server, high speed computer, An advanced microscope with a specialized Digital camera for capturing histopathology photos & life tele-consultations .
- A complete histopathological examination.
- FNA & Cytological examination.
- Core tissue biopsy [performing & examination]
- Imuno-histochemichal studies and common molecular biological examinations.
- Tele-consultation of the cases with highly specialised histopathology units in different European countries & USA
Achievements & Bilateral Cooperation with Italy:
The Histopathology & TelePathology Unit is considered as a good example for the cooperation between specialized labs in emerging & developed countries aiming for an excellent medical service for our patients, beginning for the early establishment of the unit, followed by renewal of the devices and accompanied by continuous exchanging of knowledge through our telepathology unit. Our cooperation model was introduced in many international Conferences for Telemedicine & our work was published in many articles:
“Virtual microscopy beyond the pyramids, applications of WSI in Cairo University for E-education & telepathology”. Anal Cell Pathol (Amst). 2012; 35(2):93-5.
“Virtual Telepathology in Egypt, Applications of WSI in Cairo University” Diagnostic Pathol. 2011 Mar 30; 6Suppl 1:S1.
“Telepathology in emerging countries pilot project between Italy and Egypt” Cellular Oncology Volume 30, Number 2/2008Page 174
“Telepathology in emerging countries pilot project between Italy and Egypt” Diagnostic Pathology 2008, 3 (Suppl 1): S2doi: 10.1186/1746-1596-3-S1-S2 [The electronic version of this article is the complete one and can be found online at: http://www.diagnosticpathology.org/content/3/S1/S2 Published 25 July 2008]
“Inter-hospital teleconsulting project between Cairo and Palermo” Nuove Tecnologie in Medicina; Applicazioni Informatiche e telematiche in Medicina, Anno 4, N. 3-4: 4-7, 2004.
Future Prospective :
Our Histopathology lab is aiming for establishing a molecular pathology unit to complete all the histopathological services for our patients.
For more information feel free to contact us